ayuryogakannur@gmail.com

+91 9947 271514

About kannur
The capital of North Kolathiri Rajas for many centuries, Cannanore has many monuments of historical interest.One of the early accounts of this coast can be found in the book on travels and adventures of Marco Polo dated around 1290 AD which mentions Cannanore as "a great emporia of spice trade". Others include accounts of the visit of Ibn Batuta of Tangiers during 1342-47, the Greeks, Romans, Chinese and Arabs. Kannur is a land with a resonant past, mystery folklore and ageless charm.Tipped by the Arbian sea, kannur has its share of scenic splendour shrouded in aveil of Malabar Mystique. Kannur is called "The City of lores and looms". It has an ancient history and is home to many indigenous art forms; Theyyam: Temple oracles dressed in fiery, awe-inspiring costumes, gyrating to the sound of heavy drums and cymbals; Kathakali: Ancient mime dance form depiciting stories from Indian mytho-logy; Thayambaka: A Group of drummers numbering fifty to hundred or more, accompanied by trumpets and cymbals performing together and reaching a crescendo.
St. Angelo’s Fort (also known as Kannur Fort or Kannur Kotta), is a fort facing the Arabian Sea, situated 3 km from the town of Kannur. St. Angelo's Fort was built in 1505 by Dom Francisco de Almeida, the first Portuguese Viceroy of India and is on the Arabian sea about 3 km from Kannur town. It was attacked in vain by the local Indian ruler in the Siege of Cannanore (1507). On August 1509 Almeida, refusing to recognize Afonso de Albuquerque's as the new portuguese governor to supersede himself, arrested him in this fortress after having fought the naval Battle of Diu. Afonso de Albuquerque was released after three months' confinement, and become governor on the arrival of the grand-marshal of Portugal with a large fleet, in October 1509.
When the British East India Company established its settlement on the Malabar Coast, they built the Thalaserry Fort, as a testimonial to their colonial imperialism. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort is a square structure built of laterite and is distinguished by its massive ventilated walls and strong flanking bastions. The fort has secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors. It was here that Haider's captain was imprisoned. The fort has a cemetery and the collector's mansion nearby. Many British officials have been laid to rest in this cemetery that is named after Sir Edward Brennen.
The Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary is spread over 55 sq km of undulating forested highlands on the slopes of the Western Ghats. The highest peak here - Katti Betta - rises to a majestic 1145 m above sea level. Covered with tropical and semi evergreen forests, the Aralam Sanctuary is home to a vast variety of flora and fauna endemic to the Western Ghats. Elephant, gaur, sambar, spotted deer, barking deer, Nilgiri langur, Hanuman langur, Malabar giant squirrel, etc can be seen here. Aralam, a village in Thalassery, Kannur, is also noted for the Central State Farm, a 3060 hectare farm started in 1971 by the Government of India. This is one of the main production centres of hybrid coconut seeds in the country.
Muzhappilangad Beach is the only drive-in beach in Kerala. It is located parallel to National Highway 17 between Kannur and Thalassery. One can drive the entire 4 km length of the beach. There is an unpaved road winding through coconut groves leading to the beach. The beach is bordered by black rocks, which also protect it from the stronger currents of the ocean. Approximately 100-200 m south of the beach there is a private island called Dharmadam Island. It is possible to walk to the island during low tide. Muzhappilangad is the one of the important tourist destination of kerala.Its drive in beach, the second largest in india, has already entered in the world tourism map.The drive-in-beach is fast developing tourist spot which is attracting both local and foreign people in large numbers
Pythal Mala is an enchanting hill station, situated 4,500 ft. above sea level near the Kerala - Karnataka border, is rich in flora and fauna. It is a 6 km trek to the top of the hills. Abundant in flora and fauna, this place is now being developed as a hill resort. One has to trek 6 kms to reach the top of the hills. There is a proposal to set up a zoo at the top of the hill. The enchanting hill station offers a challenging trek to those inclined to stretch their legs. Trekkers are rewarded by a profusion of exotic flora and fauna and an exhilirating view from the top. The 300 acre wide sprawling area is a safe home to numerous birds, hundreds of butterflies, rare plants and trees. Even during this sweltering summer at Paithal Mala one can relish a real cool climate.
One of the most beautiful beaches in the state of Kerala is at a distance of 2 km from Kannur town. This beautiful stretch of sand and surf is the best place for a relaxing holiday. It is well known for the well constructed and laid out gardens and a gigantic sculpture of the mother and the child by Kanayi Kunhiramanin that was erected here. It is also famous due to the fact that the remains of Swadeshabimani Ramakrishna Pillai,A.K Gopalan, Pamban Mandavan and K.G Marar are laid to rest near this place. The essential plus points about the Payyambalam Beach are its cleanliness, its distance from the town and the beauty of its gardens. Payyambalam beach is a favourite picnic spot for the local residents.
The Parassinikadavu Snake Park is one of the major attractions of Kannur District itself. The Snake Park, which is a subsidiary unit of the Pappinisseri VishachikitsaSociety, is the only one of its kind in the State and perhaps the whole of India. The park is dedicated to the preservation and conservation of snakes, most of which are becoming extinct gradually. There is a large collection of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. There are three snake pits, fifteen glass cases for snakes and two large glass houses for King Cobras in the park. Other than the snakes, there are other kinds of rare animals, reptiles and birds like the endangered species of Simhavalan Monkeys and Crocodiles.The park houses a variety of snakes , including the Spectacled Cobra, King Cobra, Russell's viper, Krait and various pit vipers.
The Arrakkal Museum is a museum dedicated to the Arakkal family, the only Muslim royal family in Kerala, south India. The museum is actually a section of the Arakkalkettu (Arakkal Palace). The durbar hall section of the palace has been converted into a museum by the Government of Kerala. Arakkal family is the royal family which ruled Kannur for several centuaries. They had family relationship with Kolathiris, the rulers of the neighbouring Chirakkal kingdom. Arakkal family had trade relationship with Arabs and later with Europeans. The islands of Lakshadweep and Maldives were ruled by Arakkal family. The king of Arakkal kingdom was known as Arakkal Raja and the Queen was known as Arakkal Beevi. A nominal entry fee is charged by the Arakkal Family Trust from visitors to the museum.
Madayipara is a significant spot owing to its bio-diversity as well as history. In the past, Madayipara was the administrative center of the Ezhimala kings. In and around Madayipara, one can find remnants from the past. At the southern side of the hill, stand the remains of a fort called Pazhi Kotta (kotta means fort in Malayalam). Here one can also find watchtowers at the four corners of the fort. Between AD 14 and AD 18, Madayipara used to be the site for the coronation ceremony of the rulers of the princely state of the erstwhile Kolathunadu. The hillock of Madayipara, which carries several signs of historic relevance, is also a place important from a religious point of view. Here, a pond in the shape of a hand held mirror, connected to ancient jewish setllers is another historic attraction.